Search This Blog

Why Rafa is the G.OA.T

Monday, November 29, 2010

Start of love affair with Indian cricket and Anil Kumble, my first hero

It's hard to pin point exactly when it all began, but it was around the beginning of World Cup in Australia,1992. That was my first taste of the sweetest nectar of life, the love of the greatest sport there has ever been, cricket.
I remember listening to my dad and my youngest uncle, as they discussed India's chances at the world cup. The first match of India was versus England , which we lost by a small margin. I still remember the thrill that close chase gave me. I remember watching a few more matches of that tournament, and enjoying most of it. An instant attraction for the game developed which was gripping beyond description.
However, it truly kicked in only an year later when England toured India in 1993. The Indian team had a new look about itself, with a triumvirate of spinners for the first time in a while. I still have few memories of that tour with me, the most striking being watching a young bespectacled spinner , who bowled at a brisk pace ,running through the English batting line-up. I particularly remember one delivery bowled at almost medium pace that got Graeme Hick out in the 2nd test. It was something else. He seemed to be a different breed from the other Indian bowlers that i had watched in the recent past. I immediately developed a deep admiration and liking for that man. It felt like now we had a really top class bowler. The guy was Anil Kumble, and he became all and more of what i had imagined about him at that time.
To develop a love for something, we need to see examples of men who excel above others at that , and do great things that ordinary mortals can only think of. You need heroes. He was my first hero, and with him began the love affair with cricket that will last till i have my last breath.

1 comment: